Karnishina Natalia Gennadievna, Doctor of historical sciences, professor, sub-department of state and legal disciplines, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The article analyzes the role of the Russian orthodox church in the Russian Empire in the second half of XIX century in the period of reform preparation and implementation. Investigation of the degree of participation of the official church in people’s lifes allows to analyse criterions of success of such transformations in modern Russia.
Materials and methods. The problem was investigated on the basis of archive sources, materials of periodicals, published memories of contemporaries. Guided by estimations of theoreticians and practicians the author investigates effectiveness of different forms of clergy’s influence on flock.
Results. The main aim of the author is to generalize sources on the position of the orthodox clergy after cancellation of serfdom. The article generalizes and systematizes approaches to estimation of the church press quality in Russia.
Conclusions. The contemporaries’ estimations of the place of the Russian orthodox church in the state have been considered, the effectiveness of the church’s policy in the vast Russian community has been estimated.
official church, ecclesiastical bureaucracy, projects of reforms, confessional policies, flock
1. Karnishina N. G. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Gumanitarnye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Humanities]. 2012, no. 3, pp. 14–20.
2. Nauchno-issledovatel'skiy otdel rukopisey Rossiyskoy gosudarstvennoy biblioteki (NIOR RGB) [The manuscript research department of the Russian state library]. F. 587. Op. 1. D. 17.
3. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Rossiyskoy Federatsii (GARF) [State archive of the Russian Federation (GARF)]. F. 564. Op. 1. D. 680.
4. Sovremennyy raskol (Povremennye vypuski) [Modern schism (Periodical issues)]. Ed. by V. M. Skvortsov. Saint-Petersburg, 1903, vol. I, 189 p.
5. Dmitrievskiy V. Sovremennyy raskol v Yaroslavskoy eparkhii i bor'ba s nim. Statisticheskiy ocherk [Modern schism in the Yaroslavla eparchy and the struggle against it. A statistical essay]. Yaroslavl: Tipografiya gubernskogo pravleniya, 1892, 46 p.
6. Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii. Sobranie 2: v 55 t. [Complete laws of the Russian Empire. Collection 2: in 55 volumes]. Saint-Petersburg, 1866, vol. 38, 165 p.
7. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy istoricheskiy arkhiv (RGIA) [Russian state historical archive]. F. 796. Op. 442. D. 150.
8. Orlov N. A. Mysli o raskole knyazya Nikolaya Alekseevicha Orlova [Prince Nikolay Alekseevich Orlov’s thoughts on the schism]. Saint-Petersburg, 1881, 19 p.
9. Kel'siev V. I. Sbornik pravitel'stvennykh svedeniy o raskol'nikakh [Collection of governemnt information on the schismatics]. London, 1862, iss. 4, 347 p.
10. Vestnik Evropy [European bulletin]. 1869, vol. 2, no. 3, Internal review.
11. GARF. F. 109. Op. 223. D. 34.
12. Runkevich S. G. Russkaya tserkov' v XIX v. [The Russian church in XIX century]. Saint-Petersburg, 1901.
13. Gilyarov-Platonov N. P. Voprosy very i tserkvi [Problems of faith and church].Saint-Petersburg,1892,vol.III.
14. Feoktistov E. M. Za kulisami politiki i literatury. 1848–1896 gg. [Behind the scenes of politics and literature. 1848–1896]. Moscow, 1991.
15. Grazhdanin [The citizen]. 1905, no. 31.
16. Tserkovnyy vestnik [Church bulletin]. 1881, no. 9, L. 6–9, 12; 1882, no. 12.
17. Rus' [Rus]. 1880, 29 November.
18. Otdel rukopisey Rossiyskoy natsional'noy biblioteki (OR RNB) [The manuscript department of the Russian national library]. F. 587. Op. 1. D. 17. L. 13 ob.